Capilano Golf and Country Club is seeking applications for the position of Arborist. The successful applicant will be self-motivated, disciplined, and dedicated to achieving high standards in their work. Being able to plan, set, follow, and accomplish components of the club’s Tree Management Plan during various seasons will be extremely important. The incumbent must be able to work as part of a team, take direction, and execute required tasks.
This position works closely with and reports to the Assistant Superintendents and Course Superintendent. This is a full-time, year-round position (40hrs/week) with a wage starting between $24/hr-$28/hr DOE and offers benefits including health and welfare and pension. Summer shifts are Monday through Friday from 6AM to 2:15PM.
- Work directly with the management team in the prioritization and scheduling of all arboriculture activities.
- Develop, implement, and modify management programs for all trees on the property using and understanding the club’s Tree Management Plan.
- Perform all arboriculture work to a high standard and in a timely and efficient manner, while ensuring the safe use of equipment, machinery, and materials.
- Work closely with outside contractors as required during construction projects, large scale tree removals, and replanting efforts.
- Lead small crews assigned to undertake tasks related to annual tree management programs.
- Create an annual hazardous tree removal list and organize removals following Green Committee and Board approval.
- Assist in communicating tree health issues with neighbours.
- Liaise with Arborcom on sunlight analysis projects.
- Participate in weekly technical meetings and provide written reports, updates, and detailed documentation as required.
- Aid in the education, training, and supervision of the course Intern(s) in areas related to arboriculture.
- Work closely with the club’s Horticulturist in many areas that overlap horticulture and arboriculture.
- Work directly with Environmental Coordinator to maintain Audubon certification in aspects related to arboriculture.
- Be proactive in education opportunities related to arboriculture and implement that knowledge into current programs.
- Attend regional golf and arboriculture seminars as well as other networking events.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a field related to arboriculture or forestry
- Have a certificate, or working towards certification, with the ISA preferred.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Be able or willing to learn how to operate equipment such as a stump grinder, aerial lift, tree spade and other power equipment.
- Climbing skills are beneficial, but not required.
- Be willing to learn tasks related to maintaining a golf course beyond arboriculture.
- An understanding of golf would be a benefit, but is not a requirement of this position.
- Valid driver’s license.
Our goal at Capilano is to provide our membership with the highest standard of conditioning and remain one of Canada’s premier golf clubs. We provide employees with a safe and encouraging work environment, where individuals can learn from each other to achieve their full potential.