Using sophisticated climbing and rigging techniques, cut away dead or excess branches from trees or shrubs to maintain right-of-way for roads, sidewalks, or utilities, or to improve appearance, health, and value of tree. Prune or treat trees or shrubs using handsaws, hand pruners, clippers, and power pruners. Works off the ground in the tree canopy and may use truck-mounted lifts. Maintains specific NAA certification.
This is a full-time, hourly position.
Hourly wage: $17 - $19 (dependent on experience)
The essential functions for this position are as follows:
- Repairs, cables, fertilizes, waters, and prunes trees and other woody plants; removes dead, diseased or declining trees and woody plants.
- Plants and transplants woody plants to include hole preparation, backfilling, staking, pruning, watering, and mulching.
- Recognizes disease and insect problems of trees and woody plants and applies appropriate treatments.
- May assist in various maintenance activities as required.
- Maintains records of work performed.
- May lead, guide, and train staff performing related work
- Identifies potentially hazardous trees and other tree-related problems.
- May perform snow removal as required.
- Performs planting, transplanting, cultivation, pruning, removal, and maintenance on trees located on City property.
- Performs technical tree work such as pruning, tree felling, bucking, brush chipping, and tree removals using a variety of ground and aerial techniques and equipment. This includes using rope & harness and spur & flip line climbing techniques, aerial man lifts, chainsaws, and rigging systems.
- Installs arborist chip mulch in landscape beds and tree rings.
- Applies horticultural chemicals including herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and other materials as prescribed.
- Performs traditional forestry activities. This includes thinning, clearing, felling, bucking, burning, etc.
- Operates a wide variety of small and large equipment including chainsaw, chipper, line trimmer, leaf blower, tractor, skid steer, and front-end loader.
- Assesses tree situations and provides recommendations for actions including plantings, removals, and other management practices.
- Communicates with customers in order to resolve tree-related concerns, problems, and complaints.
- Responds to tree emergency activities resulting from weather events 24 hours a day year-round.
- May be required to outside of normal schedule, including overtime, weekends, and holidays, as it may be necessary to fulfill the duties or the needs of the business.
- Expected to have regular attendance for scheduled shifts, and to notify supervisor within a timely manner of absenteeism or tardiness
- Maintain a neat and clean appearance as outlined in Senske’s employee handbook. Follow safety regulations and work in a safe manner
- At least 1 year of climbing (DdRT or SRT) bucket operation experience in the tree care industry
- Experience in climbing, rigging, pruning for health, removal, sheering, chainsaw maintenance, climbing gear maintenance, CDL for driving bucket truck, man-lift experience, and experience pruning from a man-lift bucket
- Willingness to work safely with all the proper PPE the job requires
- Ability to work with changing crews members.
- ISA Arborist Certification is preferred but not required
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Possess high communication skills
- Must be able to work on a team as well as individually
- Valid state driver’s license from state of residence within 30 days of hire, and a clean driving record per company standards. Must be 21 years of age by date of hire.