Oversee City owned or maintained trees and vegetation for overall health and maintenance. Provides expertise and oversight for proper planting and removal of trees and other vegetation.
- Oversees and performs planting, transplanting, cultivation, pruning, removal, and maintenance on trees located on City property.
- Performs technical tree work such as pruning, tree felling, bucking, brush chipping, and tree removals using a variety of ground and aerial techniques and equipment. May include using rope & harness and spur & flip line climbing techniques, aerial man lifts, chainsaws, and rigging systems.
- Applies horticultural chemicals including herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and other materials as prescribed by guidelines.
- Determines and uses appropriate techniques necessary to ensure proper planting, maintenance, removal and delivery of trees, shrubs, etc., on property owned and/or maintained by the City including but not limited to tree pruning, spraying, removal, planting, and stump grinding.
- Climbs trees and removes dead, diseased or otherwise damaged or unwanted limbs or tree tops; prunes, fells and cuts up trees; piles trimmings for pick up and disposal. Climbs trees and removes dead, diseased or otherwise damaged or unwanted limbs or tree tops; prunes, fells and cuts up trees; piles trimmings for pick up and disposal.
- Operates and uses various types of specialized equipment including but not limited to aerial lift equipment, stump cutter, chain saw, spraying equipment, etc., in addition to various trucks, loaders, backhoes, tree spades, and trailers as required.
- Assesses tree situations and provides recommendations for actions including plantings, removals, and other management practices.
- Makes recommendations concerning operational processes, equipment needs, technical information, tree status, and customer requests.
- Trains Park staff in tree care practices and the use of associated equipment.
- May lead the work of others in tree care practices and projects.
- Plans and carries out programs and presentations in relation to Arbor Day.
- Communicates with the public in order to resolve tree-related concerns, problems, and complaints.
- May prepare and present formal presentations to resident groups and City Council as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.